Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

I Choose to be a Writer

Up until just today I would not have considered my self to be a writer.  I have been told that I write well.  I (obviously) have a desire to write a blog.  But when it comes time to actually sit down and write the words, I freeze.  I freak out.  I stumble. Which all of course leads to silence.  It easier to say nothing than to say the wrong thing....right?  The reality is no, its not easier because that nagging desire to share is always tugging at the back of my brain and I just go on feeling unfulfilled because I'm not doing this thing which part of me desires to do.  Like that's never happened to anyone else...right?

And then came the book.  Actually the book was a gift for my mother which I just happened to read the back cover of...then the introduction....then the first chapter....yeah, the book is coming home with me.

So this all powerful book which seems to have maybe gotten me past my writing dilemma is called "The Right to Write" by Julia Cameron.  I could write more about the specifics of the book right now, but honestly, I don't want to.  I can do that later.  Right now I want to revel in the fact that I am actually enjoying the process of writing.  See, before "the book" I would have felt compelled to give a detailed description of the book complete with a picture linked up to a web page with more information.  But you know what, I don't have to.  If anyone wants to learn more about the book, they can look it up.  I know I am sounding a bit on the borderline of being almost rude, and believe me I know it, but right now, this blog is for me.  If someone else wants to come along and read my ramblings, then I say Welcome!  I may not be user friendly right now, but I'm a work in progress and I am sure I will get there someday.  But right now, I just want to write.  I want to dig down into my creative self and release the thoughts and desires and dreams and who know what else has been locked up in this blocked brain.  I want to experience the joy of sharing and writing with nothing else getting in the way.

I do have to say, it feels good.    Real good.

So, with a little help from my friend Julia and her book, I have become a writer.  And I can say that with a smile on my face and a lightness in my heart.  I simply am a writer because I write.  It may not be perfect or eloquent or even right, but it is me, on paper (or screen as it may be) and that's all I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment